EU Open House Day – May 13, 2017
On May 13th, 2017 the European Union Embassies in DC will open their doors to the public for the annual Open House Day – a day of family fun, food, culture and more. The event offers visitors a rare look inside the embassies and provides a unique opportunity for them to experience the cultural heritage and national traditions of the 28 member states.
Slovenian embassy will feature a rich program with traditional music and food, including the cooking project called "Kuhnapato" (The Cooking Kids) with pupils from Primary School Sturje Ajdovscina exploring healthy Slovenian cuisine heritage of the dishes eaten in the past.
EU Delegation is also organizing a contest for the best photo of the event. Please find more information here.
This will also be an opportunity to bid farewell to our Ambassador dr. Božo Cerar who will be leaving his post in the U.S. at the end of May.
Welcome at the Embassy of Slovenia at 2410 California Street in DC on Saturday, May 13!
For more information also visit http://www.euopenhouse.org/ and keep an eye on the Embassy's Facebook and website.
Slovenian EU Open House program: *The schedule may be subject to change
10:00 – 10:15 am Traditional Slovenian folk and polka music
10:15 – 10:45 am Demonstration & tasting of walnut roll cake "potica" by Bajda sisters
10:45 – 11:00 am Presentation by SUA Branch #93 from New York
11:00 – 11:30 pm Presentation of Slovenian Union of America Branch #108
11:30 – 12:00 pm Showcase of traditional cuisine by elementary school students from Šturje - Ajdovščina
12:00 – 12:30 pm Showcase of traditional lace-making by Manca Ahlin
12:30 – 12:45 pm Demonstration & tasting of apple strudel by Bajda sisters
12:45 – 1:30 pm Tasting of exquisite organic wines from Štajerska and Primorska region
1:30 – 2:00 pm Exhibition and tasting of Cockta Soft Drink
2:00 – 2:30 pm Showcase of traditional lace-making by Manca Ahlin
2:30 – 3:15 pm Tasting of exquisite organic wines from Goriška Brda region
3:15 – 3:30 pm Demonstration & tasting of apple strudel by Bajda sisters
3:30 – 4:00 pm Tasting of buckwheat vodka - Vodka Slovenia
All day activities (10:00 am - 4:00 pm)
- all-day traditional Slovenian music played on accordion by Alex Gergar from PA, Patty Candela from Pittsburg PA and Kathy Hlad and Julie Tabaj from Cleveland, OH
- Showcase of traditional Slovenian household items, artwork and crafts by Pittsburgh SNPJ Slovenian Heritage Museum
- Short films about Slovenia at the video nook
- Slovenian Stories, Videos and Coloring at the Kids’ corner (in the Embassy's library)
- Showcase of traditional Slovenian outfits from Gorenjska region
- Showcase of Slovenian Union of America Branch #93 from New York
- Showcase of local Slovenian Union of America Branch #108
- Slovenian wine from Štajerska region by Williams Corner Wine
- Slovenian wine from Primorska region by Laureate Imports and Tri-Wines (Emil Gaspari)
- Showcase of Tok Tok Furniture, Pipistrel Aircraft and Cockta Soft Drink
- Vodka Slovenia, Kocbek Pumpkin Seed Oil and Piran Bay Salt Products by Emil Gaspari of A & E Trade
- Potica by Sophie's Catering from Cleveland, OH
- Carniolian sausages by Ažman Meats from Cleveland, OH
- Showcase of Ribnica traditional wood ware
- Showcase of traditional Idrija Lace
- Showcase of Sečovlje salt – pans' products
- Showcase of Rogaška Crystal