NOTARIZATIONS and AUTHENTICATIONS
Diplomatic and consular representations of the Republic of Slovenia provide administrative notarizations of signatures on public and private documents, and authentications of copies of documents.
1. Notarizations of signatures
A) Notarization of a signature at the Embassy
Notarization of an applicant's signature must be done in person at the Embassy. Applicant must sign the document in the presence of a consular officer.
The authentification does not prove that the content of document is correct or that the document is authentic. The Embassy's authentification stamp on document means that the signature on document is authentic.
An authentication is not performed for documents when the content of the document in question is not permissible by norms of public order.
Consular fee for notarization of a signature is 21 USD. Consular fees have to be paid by Money Order payable to »The Embassy of Slovenia« (NO PERSONAL CHECKS, NO CARDS).
Please request an appointment by electronic mail to sloembassy.washington(at)gov.si and suggest a day and hour within official hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, Wednesday 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm).
Please verify with the respective Slovenian authority, which you need to submit the document to, if the authentication from the Embassy is sufficient.
B) Notarization of signature by a Notary Public and Apostille certification
Your signature has to be first authenticated by a Notary Public, then you need to verify with the responsible authorities in the US the procedure for obtaining the Apostille on the document.
The Republic of Slovenia and the United States of America are parties to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (please see here for further information). A document legalized with an Apostille by the authority in the US will be recognized in Slovenia without any further authentication by a Slovenian representation. Please note: Apostille is a separate piece of paper attached to the original document by the competent authority.
2. Authentications of photocopies
Authentications of photocopies can be done by mail.
1. Original and a photocopy of the document
2. Consular fee for authentication in the amount of 16 USD for the first page and 7 USD for each next page. Consular fees have to be paid by Money Order payable to »The Embassy of Slovenia« (NO PERSONAL CHECKS, NO CARDS)
3. Prepaid express courier envelope (i.e. US Postal Service, UPS, Fedex, etc. (must have tracking number) addressed from the Embassy to your address to receive the authenticated documents back by mail. Fedex labels must reflect the customer’s mailing address as both the sender and recipient.
3. Translation of documents
The Embassy does not provide translation services.
The list of translators is available here. The Embassy does not guarantee the quality of the translation and is in no way connected to the persons/companies on the list.